University of California, Riverside


Frequently Asked Questions

Will I need to come to campus?

No. All coursework and materials will be delivered online and proctored exams will be offered in your region. Like students who participate in the class from campus, you will be able to communicate and participate in discussions with faculty, fellow students, and team members on line (see image, below). That being said, you are welcome to come to campus to meet with faculty and students at any time. We hope you'll also come to campus to receive your degree at the college's commencement ceremony in June.

Wiki image

What areas of study do you offer?

The program offers six specializations - Bioengineering, Data Science, Electrical Engineering - Power Systems, Environmental Engineering Systems (Water), Materials at the Nanoscale and Mechanical Engineering.

Can I switch from the traditional program to the online program, or vice versa?

Once you are enrolled in one of the programs you cannot change, nor can you take classes in one program while enrolled in the other. 

How do I qualify?

You must hold a B.S. in engineering and submit an application for admission along with scores from the Graduate Record Examination. Applications are accepted based on the work experience, college coursework completed, GPA, and GRE scores. 

Can I apply units earned in another M.S. program toward the online degree?

You must fulfill the requirements by taking the full complement of nine courses in BCOE's Online M.S. in Engineering Program. 

What does the program cost?

The cost is $3,333 per course ($30,000 for nine courses that can be finished in one year).  

Can I continue in the Ph.D. program?

Yes, you can apply to any of the engineering departments or programs at BCOE to become a Ph.D. candidate. Admission is not  guaranteed and depends on your qualifications and availability of positions in the department. The Ph.D. program is not delivered online. 

Where can I get more information?

For more information visit or contact us at


More Information 

General Campus Information

University of California, Riverside
900 University Ave.
Riverside, CA 92521
Tel: (951) 827-1012

College Information

Bourns College of Engineering
446 Winston Chung Hall

Tel: (951) 827-5190
Fax: (951) 827-3188

Related Links